Friday, October 2, 2020

Wild Hooves

 Marty and JJ are sharing the big paddock and they seem to have bonded.  We can halter them easily and they come into their stall to see us whenever we enter the barn.  Marty has a squeaky, breathy, warm-up to greet us (not a full bray, yet).  I can tell by the shavings on the their backs that they're using the stall and enjoying themselves.  Tonight, they ate a few treats and their vitamins from individual pans.  I hung some saddle blankets on the half wall that faces the barn aisle so they could explore them on their own.  They also have a toy that hangs down with a big ball on the end and a salt lick.  Both burros are playing with it.  We'll get them more toys soon.  

Now that their housing situation is settled, their training has made improvements as well.  They do seem to watch and learn from each other.  I brough JJ out first to groom.  He let me pick out both front hooves and treat them for thrush (he had a mild case brewing).  I can touch his back legs, but burros have a strong kicking response to anything pulling on their back legs.  So, I used a very soft rope to loop around his back leg, right above the hoof, to get him used to picking up the foot without me bending over and risking a kick.  He kicked out repeatedly.  As soon as he held it still, I loosened my hold so he could put his foot down.  Then, I told him, "up" and pulled his foot up again.  We did this until he let me lift his hoof with the rope, without kicking out.  Then, I used my hand down his leg to do the same thing.  He did graze my arm a few times, but he finally settled and let me hold it without kicking out.  Lots of praise and then on to the other leg.  He did well.  Tomorrow, I will see how he feels before I decide if I need to use the rope again.  With the other donkeys, I never did, but buirros had to rely on their back legs to defend themselves against real threats to life and limb.  

JJ and I walked around the farm a bit and saw some new sights.  I started working on trotting in hand with him.  He is still a little vague on that, but I know he'll catch on soon.  When we got back to the barn, I used the rubber curry comb on him, which he enjoys quite a bit.  He did really well today.  He's come a long way.  

Next, Marty came out for some grooming.  I tied him up for the first time, but he didn't really react.  He tugged a bit, played with the rope, and then looked around for me.  He let me briefly pick up both front feet and run my hands down his back legs.  Our son is teaching him to wiggle his lips for treats.  He will do anything for food.  Marty is going to be fun to trick train.  

No comments:

Post a Comment