Saturday, October 24, 2020

Pack Saddle!

 It finally came together today.  Both burros went for a walk with the pack saddle on.  

I need to back up because I haven't been posting regularly (my apologies).  

Lessons learned in the last couple of weeks:

1) The burros aren't ready for the trails, yet.  

2) They must be handled every day, or, at least, only skip one day between sessions.

3) They will do anything for treats.

I did daily sessions all week, with the exception of yesterday (too many chores).  They picked up their feet and enduring extra leg grooming due to flies.  In fact, this time of year, the flies become absolutely ruthless on poor donkey legs.  For some reason, donkeys suffer worse than horses.  I used medicated paste smeared on their lower legs where the flies had caused bare patches and sprayed the fly spray, aggressively, daily.  This week is when the burros really learned that all my attention has rewards.  

I switched the order of training from JJ first to Marty first.  SInce JJ is more nervous, this gives him a chance to see exactly what he will experience.  He watches quietly from their paddock.  

On Monday, I created an obstacle course in the small pasture next to the barn.  I've been turning the horses out in it, so the grass is eaten down enough to move easily.  I set up cones and a barrel to weave around.  I set up the jump with one side on the standard and the other side on the ground (for now).  I set up poles in a three sided square to work on turning on the haunches and stepping over.  Each day, I groomed the burros, walked them through the obstacle course, and then put the pack saddle on their backs.  Om Tuesday, the cinches finally came in, so I cinched it up by degrees each day until today, when it was fully cinched up and the breeching was placed over their hindquarters.  They did very well.  I'm so proud of both of them.  



No comments:

Post a Comment