Monday, October 19, 2020

Busy Days and Regression

 Events conspired to keep me from doing daily training for three days.  I managed to pet both burros daily and give them treats.  I also walked JJ around his paddock on Friday, practicing a few little things, but I didn't do the daily hoof picking.  As it turns out, that was a mistake.

I finally got Jeremiah out yesterday morning.  He was a little jumpier than usual.  It's amazing how fast these guys regress without daily handling.  I was on the last hoof, when he jerked it away from me in a spastic motion.  He hit my jaw with his hoof pretty hard.  It wasn't an intentional hit.  It was more just a sudden frantic pull.  I felt around and nothing was broken.  Just a bruise that will show up later and a cut on the inside of my lip.  Not a big deal, but ice would be good.  First, however, I got the soft rope back out, and used it on JJ's reactive leg several times until he was lifting on request and quietly holding it up for me until I let him put it back down.  After he was all groomed up, I put his saddle blanket and pack saddle on for the first time.  I don't have the cuinches, yet (should be here Tuesday) but JJ stood with it on his back for awhile.  When we were done, I groomed both Marty and my Mustang, before heading inside for a washcloth and some ice.  It feels much better this morning.  With a mask on in public, no one will even see the bruise that will likely form.  

I have a goal of taking JJ to the MHF show at the beginning of December, but our daily, or near daily sessions will have to continue long after that until he is a settled citizen.  He should be considered "green" for at a least a year.  My immediate concern, however, is that our farrier is due this week to trim both burros.  I'll do extra sessions and add a few new movements to mimic trimming and rasping to get them ready.  He is spookier and harder to train than Marty, but I remember that the spookier animals are also the more sensitive ones.  That sensitivity can be a good thing, once an animals is comfortable in their new life.  



Marty is finally gaining weight.  His hair lies closer to his body and he's lost some of that pot bellied look.  No more coughing either.




No comments:

Post a Comment