Thursday, October 29, 2020

Packing and trotting

 The burros have been carrying the pack saddle every day through the obstacles course or around the farm.  The fitting has been difficult to get used because I've never actually packed before.  With the help of instructional videos, and what I've learned about driving harnesses, I think I have it fitted properly for both burros.  

Almost daily picking of their hooves will, hopefully, pay off today when the farrier comes to do their feet for the first time.  There are just not enough farriers around our area, so he usually can only fit us in when everyone is due.  

JJ needs to learn how to trot in hand.  My previous attempts were unsuccessful and, actually, made him nervous.  I tried speeding up while leading him and speaking encouragingly.  His head went up, his eyes got big, and he resisted.  This time, I picked a stretch next to the barn to move him along, so he couldn't swing out.  He had already been acclimated to the feel of the little whip and wasn't scared of it.  I moved the whip behind him (not touching) to motivate him.  He trotted a few steps and was rewarded.  He was more relaxed because I think he finally understood what I was asking.  Good boy, JJ!  

Meanwhile, Marty is gaining weight and looking better.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment