Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Marty's Heart

I picked out all of JJ's hooves today and he accepted a blanket on him and around him with no reaction.  He also tolerated the pack saddle blanket.  I ordered a pack saddle his size and can't wait to try it on him.  First, however, I'll use the soft, pony-sized, surcingle to get him used to something around his girth.  I used it to teach Maggie, our Shetland Pony, how to ground drive.  

It was raining, so we missed our walk, but I showed him a pool noodle and he didn't even bat an eye.  A good grooming, fly spray, some treats, and then he went back to his paddock to relax.  His coat is already so much softer than when he first arrived.  

Next, I did the same with Marty.  He also accepted the blanket easily and allowed me to pick out all four hooves.  He fidgets a little when tied.  He's fascinated with how his lead rope works.  I caught him tugging on it.  He'll probably figure out how to untie himself one of these days.  

The burros with their saddle blankets.  




I moved my hands all over Marty, to test his reactions to a vet exam.  During the process, I found some itchy spots on his rump.  As I scratched him, he side-stepped towards me, gently, to help me reach as much as possible.  The vet arrived while I was scratching him.  

"Hi there", I called, "Just scratching my ass!" 

During the exam, the vet said Marty's lungs were not congested, but she heard a mild heart murmur.  That coupled with the fact that he hasn't gained any weight over the past three weeks, made her suspect endocarditis from an old wound that picked up some bacteria.  It could have happened when he was trapped, back in May, and they gelded him at the BLM facility, or from the old healed over wound near his right eye.   Endocarditis can cause a mild cough.  He also didn't have a temperature. Some bacteria have an affinity specifically for heart valves.  Some people with heart issues are prescribed an antibiotic before dental work because the bacteria from teeth is likely to get into their bloodstream and find those valves.  Marty has an alfalfa flavored antibiotic I'll introduce to him this morning, along with his ration balancer.  If he won't eat it, I can put it in a mixture of applesauce and water and feed it to him in a syringe.  The vet said that the murmur is so mild that it should not cause him any trouble in the future.  So, good news and a treatable issue that will, hopefully, resolve quickly.  Meanwhile, Marty is showing more of his sweet personality.  He likes hugs, begs shamelessly for treats, and even takes the occasional selfie....


 

2 comments: