Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Whoa!

 Jeremiah needs to learn how to stop when he's afraid and let me help him.  To work on this, I've added a form of "sacking out" to our routine.  This phrase conjures up negative images of fear and kicked up dust, but it shouldn't be that way.  I tie JJ to the hitching post and I show him something potentially scary.  If he reacts by moving his feet, I ask him to 'Whoa'.  When he stops, I praise him and offer a treat for being a brave burro.  Pretty soon, he learns that I won't push him to the point where he has to move his feet and I won't hurt him with the new object.  He gets praise and treats for standing.  I start out by getting close enough for him to reach out and smell it.  When he does, he gets a treat.  Then, I back off and re-approach with it at his shoulder, then his back, and off to the other side to repeat the process (which usually goes much faster).  It's game we play where he gets lots of treats for being brave.  

One other interesting thing that I've added to his routine are hugs.  Or, more accurately, burro hugs.  I reach over his withers and pet his opposite shoulder or neck.  It helps calm him.  I use it whenever I think he might need it, or to be friendly.  He seems to calm down a bit.

To make sure both burros are not spreading parasites back and forth, I dewormed Jeremiah today with the same dewormer I used on Marty.  Fecal tests next month to make sure they're clear.  

Marty is already looking better since his deworming.  He had loose poops for several days, which usually means the body is ridding itself of killed parasites.  He is brighter and more energetic.  His cough is also gone, so the vet must have been correct about the endocarditis.  His antibiotics are almost gone now.  I think he has maybe two more days of it.  His bray is becoming louder and stronger as well.  The farm has been too quiet.  It's nice to hear braying again.  


Marty at the hitching post.


No comments:

Post a Comment