Sunday, September 6, 2020

First Touch 9/5/2020

 It hasn't been 24 hours yet since JJ came home, but he is doing very well.  I gently moved him around with just the minimum pressure (me walking towards his hind end) and used the words Walk and Whoa until he knew what I was asking.  It's too hot to do much and donkeys hate to be drilled.  When he was stopped, I practiced moving towards him and retreating towards his shoulder until he could tolerate me almost touching him.  I kept it up without touching him until he didn't flinch his shoulder as if a fly were about to land.  Then, I reached out and touched before retreating.  I did that several times until he tolerated longer scratches along his withers.  I repeated the lesson in the evening, but added touching his other shoulder.  He is not ready for anything else, yet.  At this point, we will rest here.  I will continue the lessons and try to build trust at this level.  I don't want to lead him or push him in any way until he is not just tolerating, but receptive.  

Rain is coming tomorrow.  His nylon halter will be a heavy, wet burden likely to rub his head.  HIs nylon neck cord will also rub him in the heavy rains.  My simple goal tomorrow will be to remove them.  He is not ready for leading, yet, and if I can touch him, I can train him.





No comments:

Post a Comment