Monday, September 7, 2020

Carrots and Scratches

 9/7/2020

The smothering blanket of high humidity lifted a little as winds from the Northeast passed in overnight.  Everyone felt better this morning.  

Jay (JJ, Jeremiah) is becoming more accustomed to the routine.  He watched as I fed the barn horses and then brought him his flake of hay (plus, a few oats and minerals in a bucket).  He enjoys the minerals, but isn't showing any interest in the handful of oats.  

Next, I cleaned the stalls.  I do this twice per day because it keeps the bugs down.  He has been alert when I climb over the corral panels to scoop his pen, but this morning, he grazed.  He knows that isn't training time.  I left him to eat his breakfast in peace for an hour or so.   

When I returned, I had a few, small carrots.  He took them from my outstretched hand cautiously and I backed off while he enjoyed his first treat.  I left the third one on his hay.  

Next, I approached him for scratches.  He was easier to approach and seemed to enjoy it for the first time.  He reached down and grazed a bit while I scratched his back.  He likes the area around and below his ears scratched.  I left after a good scratching session.  It was good to see him happier today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment