Saturday, September 19, 2020

Backtracking

 Jeremiah had a day off Thursday and then we made some great progress Friday morning.  I picked up both of his front feet and held them for a second, we walked around the farm a little more, and he even let me allowed me to fly spray his legs.  Things were going well.  

In the afternoon, the farrier came by to trim everyone's hooves.  He had an assistant with him who was a bit boisterous and spoke loudly.  JJ spooked at him a few times.  I didn't think much of it, but perhaps that caused an issue today.  

I went to work with JJ this evening, despite the spitting rain and cooler temperatures.  I was dressed differently than I usually do, but more like I might dress at a horse show, so I thought it would be good for JJ to see that. Unfortunately, he seemed apprehensive of me and did not want to be haltered.  I spent a lot of time doing advance and retreat, while rewarding any movement towards me by walking away.  Eventually, he allowed me to rub him with the halter and lead rope and hold the halter under his head, as if I was going to halter him, without moving away.  I also spent a lot of time petting and scratching him.  I stopped there and called it a day.  These things happen for unknown reasons, but if you don't back up and re-do your homework, it might always be a struggle.  

Today was a reminder that this is a wild animal that I am asking a lot of and he needs time to adjust to his new life.  

Meanwhile, Marty approached me several times while I was cleaning his pen.  When I finished cleaning, I scratched him for awhile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment