Friday, September 11, 2020

Breakthrough

Yesterday evening went much better.  He took several more steps and seemed more at ease with the lead rope.  I removed his halter quietly and petted him for awhile to encourage him to stick around after the halter came off.  It was a good end to the day.  

When I went out to work with JJ this morning, I started by setting up the wedge and preparing to move him in to halter him.  He balked at it and gave me a quiet, appraising look.  So, I draped the loops of lead rope over his neck (no reaction) and haltered him easily.  What a good boy!  He got a chunk of carrot for his efforts.  I also petted him for awhile as a reward. We did a few steps on the lead and then he let me rub his forehead several times.  Things were going so well that I ended the session early.  His halter remained on for the evening session, but he can go back to relaxing and finishing his breakfast now.  

He has a much quieter look in his eyes than he did before.  He is interacting more, rather than simply tolerating me.   When I attempted to move him into the wedge, his look seemed to say 'trust me', so I did.  I think he's teaching me as much as I'm teaching him.  



No comments:

Post a Comment