Sunday, September 20, 2020

A Better Day

 After yesterday, I knew JJ needed an easy day today.  We worked on getting used to the halter again.  He let me pick up both front feet.  Then, he was spoiled.  I rubbed his shoulders, sides, and back.  I scratched all the itchy places on his head, neck, and chest.  I think it relaxed him a little.  After a good rubdown, I removed his halter and pet him some more (always conscious of a bad habit developing if an equine learns to bolt when they are unhaltered).  

Somehow, I triggered his self-preservation response and I thought the best way to counter that was to be low key today.  He was a good boy and stood closer to me than usual.  He also approached me several times.  

It's about communication.  I missed something yesterday, or maybe watching the farrier worried him.  Whatever it was, I had to listen and find a way to reassure him.  

Meanwhile, Marty, who is a very mellow burro, allowed our son to put fly spray on him and pet him all over, for the second day in a row.  I also rubbed his should a little this morning when he came up to me.  He is older and definitely less spooky than JJ.  I can't wait until both are trained well enough to be in the paddock together.  

Sometimes I look at these two creatures and imagine them taking care of themselves in the wild.  They have so much knowledge already.  It's amazing how well they are adapting.  Just about everything we are asking of them is completely foreign.  These little victories mean so much more when everything is taken into perspective.  

No comments:

Post a Comment